So you want to use only nontoxic makeup. That may require a total makeup bag revamp, which can cost a pretty penny. Luckily, safe makeup products are hiding in plain sight at your local drugstore. Using the Skin Deep Database from the Environmental Working Group (EWG), I’ve found plenty of drugstore makeup that comes with a “low hazard” label from the group that monitors the safety of consumer products. Here are some of my favorite EWG drugstore makeup picks that get either a 1 or 2 safe ranking:
Maybelline has a wide range of products that get a 1 or 2 on EWG, especially compared to other drugstore brands. I especially enjoy:
- Maybelline Fit Me! Matte + Poreless Powder: sits nicely on top of other makeup and helps give me an even finish.
- Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft Matte Hydrating Foundation: a mousse-like texture that provides an even consistent finish. I especially like it for evenings out.
A good number of L’Oreal face and eye products get 1 or 2 on EWG. Here are some worth checking out:
- L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte: while this likely won’t cover up deep imperfections, it will even out your skin and works well with other products that do provide more coverage.
- L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Cushion Buildable Luminous Foundation: will give you a dewy finish and more coverage where you need it.
Revlon has a bunch of lip products that score a 1 or 2 on EWG. Here are some of those, as well as a face product to try:
- Revlon Colorstay Overtime Lipcolor: this lipstick will last hours, through drinks and dinner and more drinks.
- Revlon ColorBurst Lip Matte Balm: the “Sultry” shade will give you a boost of drama without drying out your lips.
- Revlon Super Lustrous – Matte Lipstick: applies smoothly and provides more pigment.
- Revlon PhotoReady Concealer Makeup: easy to use and will cover bags and dark under-eye circles.
Cover Girl has fewer products ranking “low hazard” on EWG, but the ones that do, work well. Like these:
- Cover Girl Ink It! By Perfect Point Plus Waterproof Eyeliner: deep color and easy to sharpen without a separate sharpener.
- Cover Girl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm: shea and mango butters help keep lips moisturized with a touch of color.
Physicians Formula’s bronzers and foundations rank well on EWG. I like this one:
- Physicians Formula Bronze Booster: goes from subtle to more impact depending on how much you apply, which helps transition other face products from season to season.
While I wish more of their products were safe, I’m a fan of this eye shadow stick:
- Neutrogena Crease Proof Eye Shadow: the only eye product you need when you want a bright and natural look.
Many of e.l.f. products are safe and extremely affordable. If you were going to start with one, check this out:
- e.l.f. Studio Cream Eyeliner: just as good as Bobbi Brown’s cream eyeliner.
Wet n Wild
Wet n Wild typically provides more pigment than your average drugstore brand. I like this contour palette:
- Wet n Wild MegaGlo Contouring Palette: the contour shade provides a subtle effect, while you can use the highlighter to brighten your under-eye area.
Burt’s Bees isn’t all safe, but this product checks out on EWG:
- Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer: will finish your look by enhancing your natural lip color.
You can either pick up these products at your local drugstore, or click on the links to buy them on Amazon.