Pregnant? It’s time to give up alcohol, unpasteurized cheese, and possibly your favorite makeup. Exposing your growing baby to potentially-toxic chemicals in cosmetics carries risks for your child as they grow older. But don’t fret, there are plenty of pregnancy-safe makeup brands out there creating beautiful products that pose no risk to your baby. This is your guide to the best products from each. Happy shopping, mama.
Best Makeup Brands for Pregnant Women
With beautiful packaging and products that fill multiple needs, you can’t go wrong with RMS Beauty. Longtime makeup artist Rose-Marie Swift created the brand after experiencing a health issue potentially related to chemicals contained in cosmetics. RMS Beauty is available from Credo Beauty or Amazon.
Best RMS Beauty Products:
- RMS Buriti Bronzer (1 from EWG): This bronzer mimics the flattering glow of sun-kissed skin — without turning you orange. Use it on your cheeks and eyes.
- RMS Beauty Un Cover-up (1 on EWG): A lightweight concealer blends easily and contains coconut oil, which moisturizes sensitive skin like your under-eye area.
Mineral Fusion sells a ton of products directly on Amazon. Almost all are EWG Verified, meaning they go through a special approval process by the Environmental Working Group (EWG). You can also find Mineral Fusion products at your local Whole Foods. I’m impressed with their overall quality. You’d never know they were from a grocery store.
Best Mineral Fusion Products:
- Mineral Fusion Liquid Foundation (EWG Verified): The soft, barely-there finish is just what you need for days you want a no-makeup makeup look.
- Mineral Fusion Eye Shadow Trio – Fragile (EWG Verified): This trio helps you create a natural eye, the starting point of many makeup looks. I also use the darker brown to fill in my brows. The color sticks around all day.
Juice Beauty is one of the only high-end, certified-organic beauty brands on the market. They makes a range of beautiful makeup necessities, available on Credo and Amazon. All their products listed on EWG’s Skindeep database get a safe rating of 1 or 2.
Best Juice Beauty Products:
- Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Flawless Serum Foundation: This foundation penetrates the skin nicely and creates a silky texture.
- Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Liquid Line and Define: This liquid liner is easy to apply and doesn’t get messy.
- Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Liquid Lip: More moisturizing than a typical gloss, the shine on this liquid lip tends to fade over time, but you’re left with a lasting stain.
- Juice Beauty Phyto-Pigments Brow Gel: A gel that keeps eyebrows in place and makes them look full.
With both a makeup artist and cosmetic dermatologist behind the brand, W3LL People is dedicated to effective and quality products that perform just as well as mainstream beauty brand. You can buy them at Credo Beauty or on Amazon.
Best W3LL People Products
- W3LL PEOPLE Expressionist Mascara in Pro Black (EWG Verified): This mascara truly lengthens lashes without clumping.
- W3LL PEOPLE Universalist Multi-Stick, Nude Berry (EWG Verified): A creamy two-in-one cheek and lip color.
Best Lily Lolo Products:
- Lily Lolo Pedal to the Metal palette (1 on EWG): A palette that includes both shimmery and matte colors and compares to Mac Eye Shadow X 9: Amber Times Nine eyeshadow set.
- Lily Lolo Natural Mascara (2 on EWG): This mascara uses natural botanicals to add volume. Again, it’s my favorite clean beauty mascara.
Best Pregnancy-Safe Drugstore Products:
- Cover Girl Ink It! By Perfect Point Plus Waterproof Eyeliner (2 on EWG): This deep black eyeliner is easy to sharpen without a separate sharpener and works great.
- Physicians Formula Bronze Booster (1 on EWG): A bronzer that goes from subtle to deeper depending on how much you apply. It helps transition other face products from season to season.
- e.l.f. Studio Cream Eyeliner (2 on EWG): This is just as good as Bobbi Brown’s cream eyeliner.
- Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer (2 on EWG): A lip product will finish your look by enhancing your natural lip color.
- L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Cushion Buildable Luminous Foundation (2 on EWG): A foundation that gives you a dewy finish and more coverage where you need it.
- Maybelline New York The Falsies Push Up Drama Washable Mascara (2 on EWG): Similar to Benefit’s They Are Real mascara, this mascara from Maybelline gives you that so-good-they-must-be fake look. It adds volume and will help your lashes hold a curl, making it great for a more dramatic look.
Pregnancy provides the perfect chance to clean up your makeup stash and find new safe favorites to use even after your baby arrives.