When making the switch to safe beauty products, clean shampoo and conditioner proved to be my biggest challenge. Many of the products I tested left my hair feeling dirty, dry, or lackluster. Then, I figured out that my favorite natural moisturizer also works wonders for my hair. I’m talking about almond oil.
Almond oil has a ton of beauty benefits. It’s packed with natural vitamin E, zinc, potassium, proteins, and fats, and is less greasy than other natural oils, like coconut oil or avocado oil. It also virtually has no scent. It’s now my secret weapon for shiny, healthy hair that I only wash about twice a week. I use it as a conditioner before I shampoo. Here’s how you can incorporate almond oil into your haircare routine.
How to Use Almond Oil For Hair
- Brush and detangle your hair while it’s still dry.
- Apply two pumps, or about a tablespoon, of sweet almond oil to the ends of your hair before you shower. By focusing on the ends of you hair, you hydrate the driest parts without overdoing it.
- If your hair is short, use less. It might take a couple tries to figure out the right amount that doesn’t make your hair too greasy.
- Brush out your hair to evenly disperse the almond oil.
- Let it sit for five to 15 minutes. (If I’m in a rush, I jump right in the shower, waiting a few minutes before shampooing.)
- Get your hair wet and apply shampoo to the palm of your hands. Foam the shampoo with water and then work it into your roots with your fingers.
- Lately, I’ve been using my daughter’s Mustella gentle cleansing gel as shampoo (2 on EWG). Other shampoos I like include: Rahua Classic Shampoo (2 on EWG) and Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo (EWG Verified). The Avalon is good if your hair if prone to be on the greasy side and not color-treated.
- Rinse the shampoo and repeat. It’s important to make sure you completely rinse out all the shampoo.
- Skip the conditioner. Thanks to the almond oil, your hair will be naturally moisturized without being weighed down by a conditioner.
- After you’re out of the shower, use a Wet Brush to comb your hair and evenly distribute any almond oil that might still be in your hair.
- Towel dry your hair and let it air dry. Or use a round brush to blow dry it.
If you follow this routine, you won’t have to wash your hair for another three to four days.
The Best Almond Oil For Hair
Viva Naturals Sweet Almond Oil is my favorite. It has a light consistency and no scent. The pump also makes it easy to get the right amount.
Now you now the natural secret to healthy hair!