Hi, I’m Annie Gabillet. Welcome to my Safe Makeup Project. As a longtime lifestyle editor for POPSUGAR, I recommended products to millions of women and followed the trends. There’s no denying it: “organic” and “natural” makeup is on the rise.
But based on my research and conversations with experts, I’ve concluded that consumers must look beyond the latest beauty buzzword.
My quest to clean up my cosmetics started two years ago and kicked into high gear when I became pregnant in February 2017. I called it my “Safe Makeup Project.” Over the years, I’ve discovered makeup and skincare products that are safe, effective, and fun. But the project continues — and as a beauty lover, I’m always on the hunt for new products that will make me feel beautiful and healthy.
Ready to start your safe makeup education? Read these 10 facts that will encourage you to become an informed shopper and choose safe makeup.
10 Reasons to Choose Safe Makeup
- The federal law governing cosmetics has not been significantly updated since 1938.
- The FDA does not have the legal authority to approve cosmetics before they go on the market.
- Terms like eco, natural, and nontoxic have no legal or regulatory meaning when it comes to cosmetics.
- Because the industry is unregulated, it’s hard to know what ingredients are harmless and which ones could be connected to health issues like cancer, allergies, or reproductive problems.
- Hormone disrupting chemicals — like phthalates, parabens, triclosan, and benzophenone-3 (BP-3) — are found in some personal care product. Studies suggest they make cause cancer, infertility, and developmental harm in children.
- The chemicals in our personal care products get into our bodies and can potentially disrupt normal hormone functions.
- The risks are greater during times of development. Children, teenagers, and pregnant women should use extra care.
- A study from UC Berkeley found that when teenage girls chose products with fewer ingredients and no potentially toxic chemicals, levels of those chemicals in their bodies went down after three days. The evidence suggests you can swap out your products for safer ones and see a relatively quick reversal in potentially dangerous chemical levels.
- By simply researching the ingredients in your personal care products, you can choose products with fewer health risks.
- You don’t have to sacrifice quality. Many safe makeup brands are innovative, luxe, and simply do the trick, without the risk.
Contact [email protected] with any inquiries or comments!